An effective way to clean up a criminal record in the state of Nevada is through a pardon. Pardons are granted by the Board of Pardon Commissioners, which is composed of the Governor, the justices of the Supreme Court, and the Attorney General. Receiving this recognition can greatly aid your ability to become a productive member of society. It can help you find a stable job, receive a license, and be generally more accepted by society as a whole.

Applying for a Pardon

When pursuing a pardon, you can fill out an application called the Community Pardon Application. You can either request a full pardon that restores all your rights, including the right to possess a firearm, or you can request a regular pardon that does not reinstate gun privileges. You will have to provide all necessary information about your conviction. You will have to name the offense, the court that you were convicted in, and the punishment that was assigned. You must also include the date of your sentencing and release. You must be convincing because this board is the only institution that has the power to grant pardons, and they do not do so freely.

Eligibility Requirements

Once you complete your sentence, you are eligible to apply for a pardon. Normally, the Board of Pardon Commissioners will not grant the pardon unless you can prove you have been completely rehabilitated. Often, they will measure this by the amount of time that has passed—the longer, the better. The pardon can only be extended to crimes that are a Nevada State conviction.

Though a pardon does not erase your conviction, it is a full and unconditional pardon. This means that all of your citizenship rights are restored. Any legal disabilities that you incurred as a result of your conviction are also removed. In most cases, you will be able to vote and serve on a jury again. If you are looking to apply for this pardon, it is best to do so with the aid of a knowledgeable criminal attorneyContact Okabe & Haushalter for the help you need!

Qualifications for a Pardon

As long as you have been convicted of a felony or a limited number of misdemeanor sex offenses in California, you can apply for this privilege. Most of the time, you must first be granted the CR by the superior court. This certificate is consequently sent to the Governor’s office as an official application. The Governor will review your situation and determine whether or not he believes you should be pardoned from your conviction.

Since the CR comes first, you must determine if you qualify for this certificate. Felonies or misdemeanor sex offenses that fall under Penal Code §290 and were subsequently dismissed under §1203.4 may qualify to apply. If your conviction is consistent with this requirement, you must also have been discharged from custody or probation.

Furthermore, you also must not have been arrested and kept in an institution or jail since the discharge in question. You cannot be on probation for any other crime and you must have been a California resident for at least five years. If you meet all these eligibility requirements, you can apply for a Certificate of Rehabilitation and the ensuing Governor’s pardon.

Receiving a Pardon

Receiving a pardon is a great honor. You must be aware though that it will not seal or expunge your record. As the pardon is a public record, your conviction and the pardon are accessible for a potential employer or a government agent. You are still required by law to disclose all necessary information regarding the charge when filling out an application or any other document that asks about your criminal record. However, you can say that you have been pardoned.

If you do not qualify to file a Petition for a Certificate of Rehabilitation, you can apply for a traditional pardon. If you are no longer a resident in California but were convicted of a felony in this state, this may be an option for you. Sex offenses that are listed in Penal Code section 286(c), 288, 288a(c), 288.5, or 298(j) may be covered by a traditional pardon. Whether you are looking to apply for a pardon through a CR or through the traditional method, we would like to help. Our associates can review your case and advise you concerning which path to take.

Share Your Side Of The Story: Call 415-448-7992 Now.


    Contact Us