LAS VEGAS CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY FOR BORDER ARRESTS
Las Vegas criminal defense lawyers from Okabe & Haushalter may be able to help you. Our firm offers an aggressive defense for those detained at either the U.S.-Canada border (aka “International Boundary”) or the U.S. border with Mexico. Both borders are manned by federal law enforcement personnel from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the U.S. Border Patrol (USBP). This personnel enforce federal laws and primarily target potential offenders, particularly those involving immigration, drug, and trafficking offenses.
There are thousands of federal personnel stationed at various checkpoints along both borders who can detain vehicles and even search them if there is probable cause. Some people are arrested and detained at these checkpoints. The ramifications of a border arrest are great. If the arrest was for an alleged immigration violation, that individual could face deportation. If the arrest was for an alleged drug trafficking violation, that individual could face federal criminal charges. Listed below are some of the most common arrests made at our U.S. borders.
Common Types of Arrests at the Border
- Drug / Narcotics Offenses: According To The CBP, Federal Border Agents Seize Roughly 11,000 Pounds Of Drugs On A Daily Basis. Border Patrol Agents Can Stop Vehicles At Random Or Those They Believe To Be Suspicious. Typically At These Checkpoint Stops, An Agent Will Ask For The Passports Or Documentation For All Occupants Of The Vehicle. With Reasonable Cause, They Can Use Drug Dogs And Other Methods To Search Vehicles They Believe Contain Illegal Narcotics. Drug Trafficking And Transportation Are Common Arrests At The Border.
- Immigration Violations: In An Attempt To Keep Our Borders Secure And Promote National Security, Border Agents Check That All People Entering The U.S. Are Permitted To Do So. For U.S. Citizens, They Will Check Passports. They Can Also Check Visas, Green Cards, And Other Immigrant Documentation. According To CBP Statistics, Border Agents Receive On Average 60 Fraudulent Immigration Documents Per Day. Numbers Are Rough, But There Are As Many As Half A Million Illegal Entries To The U.S. Every Single Year.
- Illegal Trafficking & Smuggling: The Trafficking And Smuggling Of Drugs And Other Illegal Contraband Is A Heavy Focus Of Border Patrol Agents. The CBP Reports Thousands Of Copyright Violations, Illegal Currency, And Even Human Trafficking Arrests At The Borders Every Year. On Any Given Day, The CBP Reports That There Can Be About $274,000 In Illicit Currency Seizures And Just Under 1,000 Apprehensions.
Get the Aggressive Defense You Deserve from Our Firm
If you or someone you love was arrested at the border, you need to contact a Las Vegas criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. Okabe & Haushalter is extremely familiar with federal criminal cases and can provide you with the aggressive representation you need. Being arrested at the border means that your future is on the line, as you could be facing the ramifications of an offense against federal laws. If you or someone you love has been arrested and is currently under investigation by the FBI, DEA, DHS, or another federal agency, please do not hesitate to call us. Okabe & Haushalter is equipped with the knowledge and experience to defend you.
Arrests That Are Common at the Border
Regardless of location, border agents enforce all types of federal laws. There are some types of criminal activity more common than others; consequently, these arrests are made more frequently. Listed below are some common reasons people are arrested at the border.
- Drug Offenses: The Illegal Drug Trade Is Heavily Targeted At Border Checkpoints. Border Patrol Agents Are Constantly Looking For Signs Of Trafficking And Smuggling Of Illegal Controlled Substances. According To Data Compiled By The CBP, Border Agents Seize About 11,000 Pounds Of Drugs On A Daily Basis. Not All Vehicles Are Stopped For Extended Periods Of Time, But Border Agents Can Stop Vehicles To Check For Passports/Documentation And, If There Is Reasonable Suspicion, The Vehicles Can Be Further Detained For Drug Searches.
- Trafficking & Smuggling Of Illegal Material: Copyright Infringing Material, Illicit Currency, And Even Human Beings Are Trafficked And Smuggled Across U.S. Borders. Border Agents Can Detain Vehicles If They Believe That They Contain Material That Violates U.S. Federal Copyright Law, Human Trafficking Laws And More. Over 1,000 Apprehensions For These Types Of Crimes Are Made At Our Borders Every Day.
- Immigration Violations: Border Patrol Agents Examine Documentation Such As Visas, Green Cards, Passports, And More To Determine Whether Or Not A Person Can Legally Enter The United States. It Is Not Uncommon For Individuals To Present Fraudulent Documentation To Border Agents To Gain Entry. In Fact, The CBP Reports About 60 Fraudulent Documents Received Every Day. Individuals Who Are Accused Of Violating U.S. Immigration Law May Face Deportation Or Other Criminal Consequences.
Aggressive Defense from a Las Vegas Criminal Lawyer
It is important to understand what is at stake with a border arrest. You could be sentenced to fines, a prison term, probation, and even deportation in addition to other penalties. However, you are still innocent until proven guilty by law. Our job as Las Vegas criminal defense attorneys is to protect the rights of the criminally accused so that they can receive justice. At Okabe & Haushalter, we do not shy away from federal cases; in fact, we thrive on them.
If you or someone you love is under investigation by a federal agency or facing charges in federal criminal court, please call us today to receive a free evaluation of your case.